If application failed to install on Mac

Sometimes application failed to install on Mac because it doesn’t have enough permissions.

Even though user is admin on his computer it doesn’t mean that he can write to any directory.
Our application has to be installed into /Users/username/Applications
Currently logged in user shall have access to this folder.

To check who is currently logged in

ET-iMac:~ etcipnja$ id
uid=501( **etcipnja** ) gid=20( **staff** ) groups=20(staff),501(access_bpf),12(everyone),61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),80(admin),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),701(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),33(_appstore),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),250(_analyticsusers),395(com.apple.access_ftp),398(com.apple.access_screensharing),399(com.apple.access_ssh)

Here is how to check ownership on our folders (my user name is etcipnja )

ET-iMac:~ etcipnja$ ls -la /Users | grep etcipnja
drwxr-xr-x+ 55  **etcipnja**    **staff**   1760 Jun  1 21:18 etcipnja

ET-iMac:~ etcipnja$ ls -la /Users/etcipnja | grep Applications
drwx------   10  **etcipnja**    **staff**     320 Jun 13 09:30 Applications

If owner is not expected (in my case etcipnja staff) - here is the way to fix it:

ET-iMac:Users etcipnja$ chown  etcipnja:staff /Users/<username>
ET-iMac:Users etcipnja$ chown  etcipnja:staff /Users/<username>/Applications

Sorry, but is this to be used in Terminal?
I’m on Mojave. I can’t install due to use privileges issues. Can you please be more specific? Thanks.

Sorry, I was not clear. Yes, you need to open the terminal app for this. I also wrote it in (possibly) wrong assumption that user is familiar with commands “ls” and “chown”. If this is not true you may google “man ls” and “man chown” or contact our customer support.

If you have opened up a Terminal, then there’s no need to “google” anything: just type the command
man ls
or
man chown
directly into the terminal.